[R] error message obtained when plotting survival curves (error not previously obtained)

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 1 10:08:14 CEST 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Bob Green wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I now receive an error message when obtaining a survival plot, which was not
> previously received with the same code. I recently updated all my packages. It
> does not seem to be a peculiarity of my data as I receive the error using data
> available in R. A plot is produced but I am uncertain regarding the error
> message.
>

>> library(surv2sample)
>> data(gastric)
>> fit <- survfit(Surv(time, event) ~ treatment, data = gastric)
> Error in get(x, envir = ns, inherits = FALSE) :
>  variable "survfit.km" was not found
>> #Default plot:
>> plot(fit)

You don't show what packages you have loaded.  My guess would be that you are calling Design::survfit rather than survival::survfit, and the problem is due to the incompatibility between the most recent versions of Design and survival. Frank Harrell and the folks at Vanderbilt are working on a new version of Design.

       -thomas