[R] Latex symbols in R (\perp and \parallel)

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Apr 1 22:16:59 CEST 2009

Lorenzo Isella wrote:

> I am sure this is a one-liner, but I cannot find the R command to
> generate the LaTex symbols \perp and \parallel.

  I took Dieter Menne's and Brian Ripley's examples, extended them slightly
with Hershey
font analogues, and posted the results at

http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:graphics-misc:symbols

I couldn't find the "parallel" symbol in font 5 anywhere.  I tried
to create a table of the contents of font 5 (R code below), but
none of the permutations I tried worked ...

z <- expand.grid(0:16,0:15)
ch <- sapply(z[,1]+16*z[,2],function(x)
             format(as.hexmode(x),zero.print=TRUE))
d <- data.frame(z,ch)
d <- d[c(-1,-272),]
plot(d[,1],d[,2],type="n")
text(d[,1],d[,2],paste("\x",d[,3],sep=""),font=5)