[R] R_LIBS in Windows Vista

Stephen Tucker brown_emu at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 02:36:27 CEST 2009

Hello,

I am trying to install R and have it running through ESS on a Vista machine that is not mine (I am only familiar with Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux) so please pardon my unfamiliarity...

The Rgui.exe installation works fine and package installation also appears to work fine. The base packages are installed in
C:/Program Files/R/R-2.8.0/library/
and user-installed packages are installed in
C:/Users/Name/Documents/R/win-library/2.8/

When I run R with Rgui.exe, everything appears to run fine, and I can load the libraries.

When I try to run R through ESS, I get
library(chron)
..."library not found" error

and
library(chron,lib.loc="C:/Users/Name/Documents/R/win-library/2.8/")
still same problem, though chron/ is indeed located in "C:/Users/Name/Documents/R/win-library/2.8/"

I looked at the R Windows FAQ and decided to check
Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER")
and it's not
"C:/Users/Name/Documents/R/win-library/2.8/"
but instead
"C:/Users/Name/AppData/R/win-library/2.8/"
(I think, trying to recall from memory as it is not my machine)

So as instructed in the FAQ I did

dir.create(Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER"), recursive = TRUE)
and tried reinstalling chron with install.packages() but was denied permission.

I also:
1) created Renviron.site (and also .Renviron) and set
R_LIBS="C:/Users/Name/Documents/R/win-library/2.8/"
as suggested in the R FAQ, but I could neither load from or write to this directory.
2) I tried Sys.setenv(R_LIBS_USER="C:/Users/Name/Documents/R/win-library/2.8/")
but also no luck...

I wonder if anyone has further suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Stephen