[R] Programming objects in R

Krzysztof Sakrejda-Leavitt krzysztof.sakrejda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:55:51 CEST 2009

Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
> This is interesting.  The fact that there are so few texts on the
> subject probably means that very few are using OO programming methods in R.

That's overstating the problem.  I frequently run into OO R packages and
many of them are very nicely done.  Some good examples you could follow
are the packages: 'simecol','lme4', and 'pomp'.

The main issue I see is that R's OO model is different than C++/PHP/Java
(the ones I'm familiar with).  Due to that difference a resource tightly
focused on programming technique would be very valuable---it would make
the process of getting into writing 'correct' OO packages simpler.

Best,

Krzysztof

Krzysztof Sakrejda-Leavitt

Organismic and Evolutionary Biology