[R] matrix vectorization or something else??

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Apr 3 04:24:42 CEST 2009

Generally unambiguous questions get answered quickly. Perhaps other
readers are having the same difficulties I am experiencing. So let's
try to parse what you are asking:

On Apr 2, 2009, at 8:26 AM, Kutlwano Ramaboa wrote:

> Hello
>
> This may have been answered elsewhere, and I have looked on the web,
> but nothing helps. I am trying to do the following:
>
> X<-matrix(c(1:15),nrow=3,byrow=T)
> Y<-matrix(c(2,4,6,8,10),ncol=1)
>
> I need to sum the product of each row of X

"sum the product of each row"  ==?  sum(   prod(x[i, ] * ?

> by the remaining j rows

"remaining j rows"  ==? What is "j", Is it nrow(X)-1 ? An what sort of
"multiplication by rows" do you mean? The inner product?

> multiplied by j y values (i.e sum( t(x_i) x_j y_j) )

"multiplied by j y values" ==? You defined Y but not y. Assuming that
you meant Y values, then we are still left to speculate about which of
the 5 Y values are suppose to be matched to the 3 rows of X.

> Hope this makes sense.

Not to me.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ps: how do I reference all the help that I have had from the R: team?

?citation

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories