[R] embed?

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Apr 3 17:30:26 CEST 2009

Kevin,

The documentation is quite clear.

What "embedding" does is that it takes a scalar time series, x[t], and
"embeds" it in a higher-dimensional space of dimension, "dimension".  The
entries in the matrix you see are the indices of the time-series.

So, for example, if dimension = 2, you embed your time-series on a 2-Dim
space: (x, y), where the points are:  (x[2], x[1]), (x[3], x[2]), ...,
(x[N], x[N-1]).

> embed(x, dimension=2)
      [,1] [,2]
 [1,]    2    1
 [2,]    3    2
 [3,]    4    3
 [4,]    5    4
 [5,]    6    5
 [6,]    7    6
 [7,]    8    7
 [8,]    9    8
 [9,]   10    9

This is allso known as Ruelle-Takens embedding in non-linear dynamical
systems, where this device is helpful in detecting the existence of a
low-dimensional attractor of the time-series.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu