[R] Eclipse and StatET Howto (also added Subversion, Rtools)

Ken-JP kfmfe04 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 22:59:03 CEST 2009

An update: after several days of struggling, I got StatET to work on Ubuntu
8.10 amd64, R 2.8.1.

Here are some tips:
1. You may run into an X11 issue with tktcl in R as someone decided to omit
/etc/X11/rgb.txt  If you get weird issues with your R installation with
window colors like "red" or "black", then you may be missing this file.
Retrieve a copy off the web, and log in/out or restart your X.

2. When installing packages into R >DO NOT< use sudo or you will run into
problems later on - particularly if  your R packages automatically install
into /home/myname/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.8

3. I read of many problems with OpenJDK so uninstall that and install Sun's
JDK instead (I think rJava may need Sun's JDK).  Google around for
instructions - it was safer to remove OpenJDK first.  Make sure you get
something reasonable when you do "java -version" and "R CMD javareconf"

4. Make sure you install the package rJava to completion - the system will
build it

***5. Under Run configurations>JRE>VM Arguments
you need something like this:
-Drjava.path=/home/myname/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.8/rJava

I lost many hours with 5., but of course I didn't RTFM!!!  Didn't need this
one for Windoze, but needed it for Ubuntu.

http://www.walware.de/goto/statet

near the bottom...

Note:  There were probably other small steps during the install, but I
didn't keep track.
However, all solutions were found through googling...

Of course, the advantage is, under amd64, we are no longer limited to 3GB of
memory for R.

Good luck!