[R] Eclipse and StatET Howto (also added Subversion, Rtools)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Apr 5 03:27:22 CEST 2009

Hi again,

On 4 April 2009 at 14:37, Ken-JP wrote:
| Yes, I have x11-common installed, and dpkg -S /etc/X11/rgb.txt shows "not
| found" for me.
| This is on Ubuntu 8.10 amd64.

Same 8.10 for both amd64 and i386 where I checked -- both have the file. It
could be a leftover from an earlier install of mine, or an accidental
deletion at your end.

| Thanks for the detailed explanation on how R decides on where to install
| packages!
| I think I ran into problems when I haphazardly intermixed "sudo R" with "R"
| before installing packages.
|
| -------------------------------------
|
| BTW, is there a way to install all packages via:
|
| > install.packages(available.packages()[,1])
|
| for Ubuntu without building everything?
|
| I noticed quite a few errors when I tried this - build problems probably
| mostly due to missing installations in the OS.

Well "you as the admin / user" have to make sure you provided the needed -dev
packages that may be needed for compilation from package sources.  R cannot
know what those are called on Ubuntu, OS X, ...

| It was much nicer when I tried this on Windoze, and everything was pulled in
| cleanly and quickly.

Those are _binaries_ not sources, and yes, the longer-term plan is to provide
binaries for Debian and maybe Ubuntu as well.  Not available yet though.

| Is there a reason that packages seem to be in r-cran-XXX via "apt-get
| install" for Ubuntu?
| There must be an obvious reason that I don't know about...

Some are (manually) packaged by maintainers like myself, but that covers only
about 60 or so out of the 1600+ that are available.

| Thanks for taking the time to answer.

My pleasure. You raised good points. In case you didn't know that, the
r-sig-debian list (subscription required for posting) is there to help with
Debian / Ubuntu question.

Dirk