[R] Eclipse and StatET Howto (also added Subversion, Rtools)

Ken-JP kfmfe04 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 14:11:33 CEST 2009

UPDATE on StatET and Ubuntu 8.10 amd64:

StatET also works perfectly on Ubuntu 8.10 amd64, but the installation
procedure takes a lot more effort than on XP Pro 32-bit or Vista 32-bit (at
least from my experience).

But I am very happy to have more RAM and having StatET working definitely
helps the R-development experience.  I also love the power of *nix, but like
my experiences in the past, getting things to work right can be a big
time-sink - it was the case with getting StatET working here.

Some things to watch out for on Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 (you may or may not have
the same issues):

1. Eclipse should be installed according to this procedure:

  http://flurdy.com/docs/eclipse/install.html

You may get away with just setting ECLIPSE_HOME, but if you do nothing but
unzip and run it, you may run into some weird run-time issues with StatET as
described here:

http://www.nabble.com/-SOLVED--Need-Help-with-StatET-Error-Bug--on-Ubuntu-8.10-amd64-td22905352.html

2. Follow my earlier post on this thread wrt rJava, -Drjava.path, and Sun
JDK.

Of course, there may be many different ways to get StatET working, but the
steps in this thread worked for me.

I posted these messages for others in appreciation of help that I got from
other posted messages, but also for my future reference when I need to get
StatET working on a newly-upgraded system.

I hope someone finds this thread useful.

- Ken