[R] R package: Where to put code to Run Once Only?

Ken-JP kfmfe04 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:26:16 CEST 2009

Rolf,

In general, I agree with you, but I am coding for a special case.

1. I am the only user and probably will be for the foreseeable future.
2. I like to have different tiers of visibility.

At the public/highest level, I only want to see the functionality that I use
often - my memory can only hold so much information.

That means "hiding" non-everyday-essentials with a "." and not exporting it.

If, in the future, there happens to be more than one user, I intend to
open-source the code anyways - which means the developer/user can still
tinker with the variable anyway he/she chooses.  It would become less
accessible if the source were not accessible (which is not my intention).

I just prefer not to leave this code at the surface, cluttering the more
visible/often-used code, and it looks like Martin has posted some useful
snippets on how to access non-exported code.  Thx!

- Ken