[R] political maps world maps in R, wrld_simpl

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Apr 7 17:00:59 CEST 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Patrizio Frederic wrote:

> Roger,
> many thanks for your very useful suggestions.
> I've just produced some plot using xlim/ylim. I noticed I can only
> zoom in a square box. Is there any way to produce rectangular ones?

What happens is that you are seeing the default square dimensions of the
graphics device, which with an aspect ratio suiting maps, makes it "look"
square. Change the dimensions of the graphics device (for example when you
initiate it) to be proportional to the xlim/ylim ratio, and you should be
able to get what you want. Paul Murrell's R Graphics book is a great help
for getting graphics to do what you want, but looking at ?x11 or ?windows,
or ?postscript or ?pdf for file output, will cover the basics.

Hope this helps,

Roger