[R] newbie query: simple crosstabs

Eik Vettorazzi E.Vettorazzi at uke.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Apr 7 23:29:59 CEST 2009

Hi Jorge,
 > apply(mydata[,-1], 2, tapply, mydata[,1], function(x)
sum(x)/nrow(mydata))
will calculate the total percentages of "yes" for each sex relative to
the total size, not within sex.

with your data construction, the following should work

#count "yes" for each sex and question
cnts<-aggregate(mydata[,-1],by=list(mydata[,1]),FUN=sum)
#count gender as denumerators
nums<-table(mydata[,1])
cbind(sex=cnts[,1],cnts[,-1]/nums)

#simple check that the solution is ok
prop.table(table(sex=mydata[,"sex"],q1=mydata[,"q1"]),1)
prop.table(table(sex=mydata[,"sex"],q2=mydata[,"q2"]),1)