[R] how to adjust titles on sub-plots in levelplot / contour plot?

Mike Williamson this.is.mvw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 03:32:52 CEST 2009

Hello,

    I have a (relatively long) function script that generates a levelplot.
I don't want to include all of the code, so I have attached in file
"miniDataSet.csv" an example for the data set "miniDataSet" that is called
below.
    The function works OK, except that when the variables in the "splitCol"
column get very large (as they are in this data set I have attached), it
cannot print the whole thing in the "trellis subplot", the little title
above each sub-plot that is generated.  I have also attached a picture which
shows how the graph looks (when run in my environment... hopefully you will
see similarly).  You'll notice in the yellow "sub-plot titles" that much of
the name has been cut off.  In looking through all the documentation, I
cannot seem to find anything that mentions how to adjust the scaling of
these sub-plot titles.

                               Thanks in advance!
                                        Mike

##########################
Plot call:

  try(print(levelplot(dataCol ~ siteX * siteY | splitCol, data =
miniDataSet,

col.regions=rainbow(n=length(unique(miniDataSet$dataCol))+5,
                        start=0.5,end=0.95), layout = 16, shrink = c(0.6,
1.1),
                      at = c(0.5,0.625,0.75,0.875,1),
xlab=list(label="Site", cex=1),
                      ylab=list(label="Site", cex=1), scales = list(cex=1),
                      main=list(label="Dummy Title", cex=1),
                      colorkey=list(labels=list(cex=1)))))

--
"The squirrel has not yet found the acorn that will grow into the oak that
will be cut to form the cradle of the babe who will grow to slay me."