[R] Connecting to "heterogenous" cluster using makeSOCKcluster of SNOW-package

Melwin win at comets.de
Thu Apr 9 10:00:29 CEST 2009

When trying to create (a very simple) cluster using makeSOCKcluster or
makeCluster I get the following error message:
> library(snow)
> cl <- makeSOCKcluster("localhost")
Fatal error: kann Datei
'~/R/i686-suse-linux-gnu-library/2.8/snow/RSOCKnode.R' nicht öffnen: Datei
oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
(translation: could not open file [...]: File or directory not found)

The R-prompt does not re-appear until CTRL-C has been pressed.

RSCOKnode.R is definitely there with all access right:
ls -l ~/R/i686-suse-linux-gnu-library/2.8/snow/RSOCKnode.R
-rwxrwxrwx 1 GEOECOLOGY\francke GEOECOLOGY\mitarbeiter 911  7. Apr 14:51
/home/GEOECOLOGY/francke/R/i686-suse-linux-gnu-library/2.8/snow/RSOCKnode.R

In contrast, creating explicitly "homogenous" cluster works:
> setDefaultClusterOptions(homogeneous = TRUE)
> cl <- makeSOCKcluster("localhost")

Since I intend to use really "inhomgenous" clusters, I followed the
respective instructions given on
http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/cluster/cluster.html#Section:InhomogeneousSystems.
I also tried the modifications to RSOCKnode.sh proposed in
http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/R/RProg.pdf - no different
behaviour.

I'd appreciate any comments that help me in getting an incomogenous
cluster running without the need of MPI or PVM.

Thanks in advance.

Till Francke
Dept. for Geoecology
University of Potsdam