[R] Subset a data frame for plotting

Paul Warren Simonin Paul.Simonin at uvm.edu
Fri Apr 10 02:58:39 CEST 2009

Hello,

   I have a question regarding how to subset/select parts of a data
frame (matrix) in order to plot data associated only with this subset.
Specifically I have a large data frame in which one column contains ID
values (dates), and other columns contain data I would like to plot
(temperature, light, etc.). I would like to break up this large matrix
so as to plot data associated with specific ID values (dates)
separately. I have learned of several commands that supposedly subset
matrices in this manner and have tried the following code with no
success:

200706183<-subset(AllData, ID = 200706183)
200706183<-gx.subset(AllData, ID == 200706183)
200706183<-subset(x=AllData, AllData$ID = 200706183)
200706183<-gx.subset(x=AllData, AllData$ID == 200706183)

In using this code my plan was to create smaller data frame objects
which I could then plot. My first question, though, is whether this is
the correct approach. Is there a more efficient way I can create plots
conditional on certain criteria such as "code = 200706183" ?
   If I do need to first create separate smaller data frames, how do I
go about doing this? Am I missing something in the above commands?
   Any other advice is certainly welcome too, as I admit to being a
bit new to R. Thank you very much for any answers, tips, suggestions,
etc.!

Best wishes,
Paul Simonin

--