[R] Reshape - strange outputs

Steve Murray smurray444 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 10 15:14:32 CEST 2009

Genius! Thanks very much Hadley - that was surprisingly easier to solve than I was anticipating!

As a way of offering something back in return, I don't know if you plan to release a new version of the reshape package, but here's a suggestion to consider, just in case you do.

On the basis of what I've learned from this experience, how about including a simple line of code in the next release, along the lines of is.data.frame(object_name) - if TRUE then proceed as normal, if FALSE then issue a warning/error message to inform the user that the procedure may not execute as intended and suggest coercing to a data frame.

Apologies if I've overlooked something fundamental which prevents the need or feasibility of this idea - just thought I'd bring it up in case it is useful!

Thanks again and all the best,

Steve