[R] Protocol question: formatting of posts

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Sat Apr 11 18:09:54 CEST 2009

On Apr 11, 2009, at 10:38 AM, Carl Witthoft wrote:

> Here's a random example of some code and the response R produced:
>
> --------
>

> > sum(2 ^ (which(as.logical(rev(nn))) - 1)) [1] 74
>
> -------
>
> Now, maybe I'm old and crochety, but why don't people put a handy
> linefeed (or <CR>) between each command line and each response
> line?  I just find it tedious to try to figure out exactly where a
> given command ended, especially when a couple commands in a row are
> left on a single line.
>
> If this is my own fault for reading the archive with Camino (and
> other browsers parse the archive web page text better), then I
> apologize for this interruption.
> Carl

That looks like a snippet from my reply earlier this week.

Here is the post online:

   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2009-April/194676.html

I reviewed the post with Safari, Firefox and then installed Camino
1.6.7 on OSX. Looks fine in all of them. I did copy from an R console
when pasting the above, which did have the newline in the source.

I might expect a problem with an e-mail client that may have problems
displaying "format = flowed" e-mails which is the default in Apple
Mail when sending plain text e-mails, but in a browser I am not sure
if this should be an issue.

The page source for the post in the archive shows a newline so it is
not clear to me why you are having rendering issues.

More info on 'format = flowed' is available here:

   http://joeclark.org/ffaq.html

and the formal spec is here:

   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt

HTH,