[R] p-values from bootstrap - what am I not understanding?

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 01:40:59 CEST 2009

Hi Johan,

Interesting question. I'm (trying) to write a lecture on this as we
speak. I'm no expert, but here are my two cents.

I think that your method works fine WHEN the sampling distribution
doesn't change its variance or shape depending on where it's centered.
Of course, for normally, t-, or chi-square distributed statistics,
this is the case, which is why it's fine to do this using traditional
statistical methods. However, there are situations where this might
not be the case (e.g., there may be a mean-variance relationship), and
since we would like a general method of getting valid p-values that
doesn't depend on strong assumptions, this probably isn't the way to
go. Permutation would seem to work better because you are simulating
the null process. However, figuring out how to permute the data in a
way that creates the null you want while retaining all the
dependencies, missingness patterns, etc in your data can be
difficult/impossible.

Hope that helps...

Matt

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Peter Dalgaard