[R] Physical Units in Calculations

Tom La Bone booboo at gforcecable.com
Mon Apr 13 02:00:38 CEST 2009

Back in 2005 I had been doing most of my work in Mathcad for over 10 years.
For a number of reasons I decided to switch over to R. After much effort and
help from you folks I am finally "thinking" in R rather than thinking in
Mathcad and trying to translating to R. Anyway, the only task I still use
Mathcad for is calculations that involve physical quantities and units. For
example, in Mathcad I can add 1 kilometer to 1 mile and get the right answer
in the units of length I choose. Likewise, if I try to add 1 kilometer to 1
kilogram I get properly chastised. Is there a way in R to assign quantities
and units to numbers and have R keep track of them like Mathcad does?

Tom