[R] value of strptime in R 1.8.0

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Apr 13 05:55:52 CEST 2009

Mitra;

n Apr 12, 2009, at 8:09 PM, Mitra Jazayeri wrote:

> Dear R friends,
> I have a data frame, I need to get a time interval between the two
> columns.
> The times are recorded in 24 hour clock. My data frame is called
> version.one.
> my commands are:
> t.s.one<-paste(version.one[,9])
> t.s.two<-paste(version.one[,61])
> x<-strptime(t.s.one,format="%H:%M")
> y<-strptime(t.s.two ,format="%H:%M")
> z<-difftime(y,x, units = "mins")
>
> But now in my z object i have negative numbers. Would you please let
> me know
> why?

Given that neither version.one[,9] nor version[,61] is available to
us, how can readers of this be expected to answer  other than with the
trivial hypothesis that t.s.one is after t.s.two?

> And how can I get rid of this problem?

Change the order of the calculation?
(You cannot use abs, since that function is not defined for difftime
objects.)

--
David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories