[R] Off-topic: Biostatistics book spam?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Apr 13 20:04:40 CEST 2009

Mitchell Maltenfort wrote:
> Just got what seems to be the first spam for a stats book I ever saw.

New tricks from CRC marketing? They are known to be among the more
aggressive players in the market place. (Don't get me wrong, some rather
nice people have been publishing with them.)

At least you can delete email, I get loads of it on paper!

> It only has one review at amazon, and for all I know the author wrote
> it himself.

I don't think that happens often. Sometimes the back cover text gets
passed off as (or mistaken for) a review, which has a similar effect.
(There was one example of that for the 1st edition of my book on Amazon.)

> This might be a decent text, but if so, I'd like to hear it from someone here.

So now you're spamming us?... ;-)

Presumably, when there's a 2nd ed. the 1st ed. wasn't a complete flop.
But other than that I wouldn't know.