[R] I want to use Sweave, but only sometimes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Apr 13 20:19:40 CEST 2009

On 4/13/2009 2:07 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Does anybody have a workable system to run an Rnw document through
> R-Sweave when necessary, but to just run it through LaTeX if no new R
> calculations are needed? I.e.,  the figures already exist, I do not
> need R to do more work for me, so I send the document straight to
> LaTeX.

It's not exactly what you asked for, but the weaver package goes some
way towards that, by caching the results of code chunks and not
recomputing them.

weaver is on Bioconductor, not CRAN, so you can install it using

     source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
     biocLite("weaver")

An alternative approach is to save the slow calculations manually, and
then load() an image in an early chunk, and proceed from there.  But if
it's your figures that take a long time, that might not help.  I'm not
sure that weaver caches figures, but I would guess so.

Duncan Murdoch