[R] Building GUI for custom R application

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Apr 14 17:40:57 CEST 2009

Duncan Murdoch and Brian Ripley (I believe) have provided some limited but
serviceable native Windows GUI functionality within R for Windows. See
?winMenuAdd, ?choose.files , ?select.list, ?getGraphicsEvent,?winProgressBar
for examples and further links. Everything that you mention can be rather
simply done using this functionality (I've done it).

As others have said, much more extensive and powerful GUI functionality is
available through tcltk and associated packages like gWidgets,TkWidgets, and
others (including much stuff on Bioconductor). But beware! -- writing GUI's
that provide complex functionality is difficult. Computer scientists, web
designers, etc. have whole curricula devoted to this.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics