[R] "utils" lacking namespace?

Gustaf Rydevik gustaf.rydevik at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 12:45:12 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> Gustaf Rydevik wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> A colleague of mine tried to install the package EMV, which had been
>> removed from CRAN.
>> she ran into some kind of trouble, R locked up, and she closed the
>> program.
>> Now when she starts R, "utils" can't be loaded which of course create
>> an unworkable environment.
>> Below I've copy-pasted the error message she gets when starting R.
>> Any ideas on what went wrong, and more importantly, how to fix it?
>>

> No idea of the details of what went wrong, but it looks as though your
> colleague has some bad startup file (Renviron, Rprofile, etc; see ?Startup
> for the full list) or has actually damaged her R installation.  I'd try
> re-installing it first, because that's easy, then work through ?Startup and
> see if there are some bad files or environment variables messing things up.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Hi, and thanks for the help!

It turned out after a bit of searching among the libraries file
structrure that the "utils" catalogue had somehow been moved to the
catalogue belonging to package "NADA". It must have been some
installation script (of the EMV package?) that for some reason moved
it there, but heavens know why.

Oh well, things got sorted out in the end anyhow, and all's well now!

regards,

Gustaf

--
Gustaf Rydevik, M.Sci.