[R] get() versus getAnywhere()

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Apr 16 16:08:37 CEST 2009

On 4/16/2009 9:52 AM, Benjamin Tyner wrote:
> Hi
>
> Using R 2.8.1. I have list object called "AuxData". Inside a browser(),
>
>    get("AuxData")
>
> succeeds, while
>
>    getAnywhere("AuxData")
>
> fails with the error "no object named âAuxDataâ was found". I'm
> curious to know if this could be a bug. If yes, I'll try to come up
> with a reproducible example.

It's not a bug.  getAnywhere doesn't really mean "anywhere", it means
"visible on the search path, registered as an S3 method or in a name
space but not exported."  On the other hand, the browser will show you
the local evaluation frame.  So I'd expect the browser to be able to see
x below, but getAnywhere wouldn't find it, because it's not in one of
the places listed above.

f <- function(x) {
   browser()
   getAnywhere("x")