[R] Reading in a large number of dbf files

Duncan Mackay mackay at northnet.com.au
Fri Apr 17 01:05:49 CEST 2009

Steve

If the .dbf extension files are dBase type.
generalizing: there are 2 series of dbase .dbf files for non SQL type dbf
files:
1  dBase III when Borland had dBase and
2  dBase 2000 produced by dBase inc

If they are dbase III (ie can be imported into Excel) you can use the
foreign package to import them

require(foreign)
# get a list of files
listd <- list.files(.....)

# loop or otherwise
for (j in seq_along(lisd) ) {

    # Example for 1 file (you will have to use something different for > 1)
    x <-   read.dbf(list[j], as.is = TRUE)

}

Regards

Duncan Mackay