[R] Kruskal's MDS results

Michael Denslow mwdenslow at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 04:35:08 CEST 2009

Hi Dieter,

> I understand that the stress is a measure of how good the
> algorithm managed to represent the ordinal distances between
> items. And I also see why it's dependent on the number of
> dimensions.
> I was hoping someone could tell me exactly what the formula
> for the percentual stress is. To me it's not clear how this
> metric is calculated.

If you have a copy of:
Venables, W. N. and Ripley, B. D. (2002) Modern Applied Statistics with S. Fourth edition. Springer.
There is a brief section on the stress calculation. Also, I believe that the methods was first outlined in Kruskal 1963.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/010q1x323915712x/

The you can see
MASS::isoMDS
or