[R] Create histogram from data matrix

Paul Warren Simonin Paul.Simonin at uvm.edu
Fri Apr 17 16:59:51 CEST 2009

Hello!
   Thanks for reading this request for assistance. I have a question
regarding creating a histogram-like figure from data that are not
currently in the correct format for the "hist" command.
   Specifically, my data have been processed and are in a matrix with
columns containing the variables of interest and separate columns
containing the number of times this variable was observed (counts).
This data frame/matrix is rather large (1600 rows), and there are
multiple rows corresponding to the same variable level (e.g.,
"temperature=8, 5 observations" in one row, then the next:
"temperature=8, 9 observations", and so on). In other words, the data
are not one long vector R can read and plot as a histogram, nor are
they condensed. My goal is to create a figure in which one axis is
bins (e.g., temperature values) and the other is number of
observations in this bin (e.g., number of organisms seen).
   My question is: Is there a way R can be told to read my data to
create a plot like that I desire? So far I have tried several options,
including bar plots with no success.

   If there is no way to do this with my data as the are currently
arrange, is there an efficient way to re-arrange them?

Thanks a lot for any assistance or advice!

Sincerely,
Paul Simonin

--
Paul W. Simonin