[R] ColorRamp different from ColorRampPalette

Etienne B. Racine etiennebr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 21:42:04 CEST 2009

I try to use ColorRamp as ColorRampPalette (i.e. with the same gradient), but
it seems there is a nuance that I've missed.

pal.crp<-colorRampPalette( c("blue", "white", "red"), space = "rgb")
plot(rep(0,40),pch=16,col=pal.crp(40))
# is great

But, using the same gradient with colorRamp is giving erratic colors.

pal.cr<-colorRamp( c("blue", "white", "red"), space = "rgb")
plot(rep(0,40),pch=16,col=pal.cr((0:40)/40))
# is not great

>From the help : "colorRamp returns a function that maps values between 0 and
1 to colors" ...colors I guess taken from the gradient, but I don't get the
gradient.

Etienne