[R] what is R best for; what should one learn in addition to R

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Apr 20 21:23:23 CEST 2009

What things you should learn in addition to R depends on what types of things you want to do.  But here are some of the programs that I recommend people take a look at:

gnuplot
ggobi
Imagemagick
LaTeX
xfig
Make
Emacs (or other programming editor)
SQL
Perl (or other scripting language)
Tk (actually more an extension than a language/package)

I also recommend that people doing statistics know at least the basics of 3 different stats packages (S-Plus and R don't count as 2 separate packages)

Depending on your situation, some of the above may be useful, others may not.  And things can change, I find myself using Perl much less than I used to (but am still glad to have it as one of my tools).

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org