[R] anova table with lmer

Julien Beguin julien.beguin.1 at ulaval.ca
Wed Apr 22 02:30:35 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

I am wandering if someone was able to get an anova table using the function lmer
in lme4 package with an other distribution than gaussian (ex: poisson). In fact,
I am using a GLMM with a poisson distribution where I have 2 independant fixed
variables (coded as factors with respectively two and three levels) and I am
interested with simple and interaction effects (I also have a couple of random
variables). However, rather than to have an estimate of each combination (plus
intercept), I would like first to know the effects of my 3 sources of variation
(not the combination of each level). This works well with a gaussian
distribution (using anova()) but not with another one (ex: poisson). I have
seen exemple where it seems to work pretty well even with factor variables so I
guess there is a way to do it... If someone know how to do, I would greatly
appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Julien

Julien Beguin
Etudiant au doctorat
Faculté de Foresterie et de Géomatique
Université Laval, local 2113
2405 rue de la Terrasse, G1V 0A6 Québec (Qc)
Tel: (418) 656-2131 poste 2620
http://www.cen.ulaval.ca/anticosti/jbeguin.html