[R] comparing mixture models (mix function in mixdist package)

Dieter Vanderelst Dieter.Vanderelst at ua.ac.be
Wed Apr 22 13:40:42 CEST 2009

Dear List,

We are using the mix() function in the mixdist package to fit mixture models to some of our data.

The package provides a function to compare the fits of nested models using an ANOVA function.

However, we were wondering whether there are methods that can be used to compare models that differ in the number of distributions fitted and/or the shape of the distributions.

Is there a way, using likelihoods maybe, to compare this kinds of fits in a statistical meaningfull way?

Regards,
Dieter Vanderelst