[R] lmer() function

Ali Mahani alirezashah at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 21:58:17 CEST 2009

I'm trying to estimate a two-tier model with varying intercepts and slopes
across 20 groups, with each group having about 50 observations and with no
group predictor. I use the command lmer(y~x+(1+x | group)). But the result
is a constant intercept (zero standard deviation, all 20 intercept values
are the same). I'm puzzled; am I setting up my model wrong, or is the
algorithm malfunctioning because the number of groups is too small for the
lmer() function?