[R] problem loading ncdf library on MAC

Fiona TUMMON fiona.tummon at aero.obs-mip.fr
Thu Apr 23 10:42:28 CEST 2009

Hi there,
 I'm more or less new to R and have just installed R on my MAC laptop. I
managed to install everything easily enough (R  version 2.9) and a few
packages, but when I try to load the ncdf package (in R)  I get the
following error:

library(ncdf)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/ncdf/libs/i386/ncdf.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/ncdf/libs/i386/ncdf.so,
6): Symbol not found: _H5Dclose
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/ncdf/libs/i386/ncdf.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

Error in library(ncdf) : .First.lib failed for 'ncdf'

I installed the newest netcdf-4.0 with hdf5 (version 1.2.8) and the
newest udunits 2.1.

I'm working on a macbook with MAC OSX 10.4.11 (darwin 8.11.1).

If anyone has any idea how to solve this problem (I'm sure it's
something simple that I haven't done right), it'd be much appreciated.
Right now I'm only want to use R to look at netcdf files, so without the
ncdf library, I can't do too much.

Thanks a million!

ciao,
Fiona