[R] issue building my own package... moving from Apple OS to Windows

Daryl Morris darylm at u.washington.edu
Fri Apr 24 07:42:33 CEST 2009

Hello,
I have written my own very simple package.  On an Apple, I was able to
run through the "R CMD build" and "R CMD check" successfully.  I have
also installed the package, and successfully loaded the library on my Apple.

This package is written entirely in R and requires no compilation.

I am trying to move the package to a Windows machine.

I (perhaps naively) thought, given that it contains no code requiring
compilation, that I should just be able to take the .tar.gz file and
directly install it in Windows.  This didn't work.  Nor did
"translating' the contents of the .tar.gz file into a .zip file.

I was about to provide the errors, but more googling on this issue
suggests that maybe what I'm trying to do is impossible.

Do I really have to "build" on a Windows box ... even when the package
requires no compilation?  Is there no simple translation tool available
for this case?

thank you, Daryl
U. Washington Biostatistics