[R] stata ==> R - error messages

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Fri Apr 24 13:19:22 CEST 2009

Rob Bakker wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
> I am just starting with R and I think it is a great system. Now, I want to
> import Stata datasets (.dta) with read.dta, but receive errormessages like:
>
> Error in grep("^(http|ftp|https)://", file) : object "Rklein" not found
>
> Error in read.dta("Rklein") :
>   unable to open file: 'No such file or directory'
> this happens when I use ""
>
> What is the problem and how can I solve it?

Hi Rob,
Looks like you're on Windows, and you have probably fallen victim to the
Microsoft  (and Apple) "hide-everything-you-can-from-them" file manager
defaults. Your file "Rklein" probably has an extension on it (maybe
.dta?) and if you can find that by turning off extension hiding, you
will probably see the solution immediately.

Jim