[R] font size relative to graphic

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 21:14:19 CEST 2009

I am printing numbers onto horizontal bars in a bar plots, but I am
finding it difficult to make the number always the right size.  If there
are more bars, the bars get narrower and the font is too big.  I also find
that if I change the size of the graph, the bars will get wider or
narrower and the font stays about the same size.  The result depends on
whether I view the graph in X11 or in postscript.

Is there a way to specify font size relative to bar width, or at least
specify font size relative to graph coordinates?

Here's a bit of what I've been doing:

x.bar.plot <- barplot(as.matrix(x), horiz=TRUE, beside=TRUE, xlim=c(0,100), xlab="Score", las=1)
text(as.matrix(x), x.bar.plot-.07, as.character(as.matrix(round(x))), pos=2, col="black")

The "-.07" is something I added to make the numbers align well with the
bars under one condition, but it doesn't always help.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Minnesota Center for Twin and Family Research