[R] plm Hausman-Taylor model

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Sat Apr 25 22:55:50 CEST 2009

The problem arises because your data.frame contains
no factors and plm:::lev2var implicitly assumes that its
input data.frame, x, contains both factor and non-factor
columns.  That is because, e.g.,  the output of
   sapply(zeroLongInput, func)
has class NULL, not the class of the output of func()
(since func() was never called it doesn't know what that
class would be).  Similarly, the output of unlist(zeroLongList)
and names(zeroLongVector) have class NULL.  It might be
nice if names(NULL)<-character(0) worked, since it would
not corrupt NULL, but it doesn't.  It also might be nice if sapply
had an option that let you declare the output type of func
so sapply's output always had the expected type, but that
wouldn't solve the whole problem.

A possible change to plm:::lev2var is to pass the output
of the some of these calls through as.character() so the NULL
is changed to character(0), as in

plm:::lev2var <- function (x, ...)
{
    is.fact <- sapply(x, is.factor)
    not.fact <- names(x)[!is.fact]
    names(not.fact) <- not.fact
    x <- x[is.fact]
    wl <- lapply(x, levels)
    nl <- sapply(wl, length)
    nf <- as.character(rep(names(nl), nl)) # as.character in case of
0-long result
    result <- as.character(unlist(wl))        # ditto
    names(result) <- nf
    result <- paste(names(result), result, sep = "")
    names(nf) <- result
    c(nf, not.fact)
}

I used trace(plm:::lev2var, edit=T) to test this change -- the real fix
involves changing the source code and recompiling the package.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software Inc - Spotfire Division
wdunlap tibco.com

[R] plm Hausman-Taylor model

Ron Burns rrburns at cox.net
Sat Apr 25 19:47:24 CEST 2009

Dear all-

I am have trouble in using the model="ht" option in function plm from
the plm library.  I am using
Package: plm Version: 1.1-1; R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22) running on a
FC-8 linux machine.

Here is what I am trying to do:

##----------------------------------------------------------------------
------
R> ###Prob 6  Chapter 3 Use R! Applied Econometrics with R (Kleiber &
Zeileis)
R> ## hlp(PSID1982) => cross section data for 1982 only  Need panel data

I guess
R> ## found full set on STATA web site
R> ## http://www.stata-press.com/data/r10/psidextract.dta
R> ## STATA results in Sec 2 of:
folk.uio.no/erikbi/ECON5120_H07_Note19.pdf
R> library("foreign")
R> fulldat <- read.dta("~/Desktop/psidextract.dta")
R> library("plm")
R>
R> fulldat.plm = plm.data(fulldat,index=c("id","t"))
R>
R> earn_plm <- plm(lwage~ occ+ south+ smsa+ ind+ exp+ exp2+ wks+
+                 ms+ union+ fem+ blk+ ed | exp+ exp2+ wks+ ms+ union+
ed,
+                 data = fulldat.plm,model="ht")
Error in names(result) <- nf : attempt to set an attribute on NULL

I have tried several variations and some other data sets (not so easily
reproducible for others as this one) but have yet to obtain an error
free result.

Thanks in advance for any help
      Ron
--