[R] Memory issues in R

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Sun Apr 26 18:15:24 CEST 2009

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 09:20:12 -0600 Neotropical bat risk assessments
<neotropical.bats at gmail.com> wrote:

NBRA>
NBRA>    How do people deal with R and memory issues?
NBRA>    I have tried using gc() to see how much memory is used at each
NBRA> step. Scanned Crawley R-Book and all other R books I have
NBRA> available and the FAQ on-line but no help really found.
NBRA>    Running WinXP Pro (32 bit) with 4 GB RAM.

There is a limit on windows, read the FAQ:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#There-seems-to-be-a-limit-on-the-memory-it-uses_0021

So either you use a (64bit) Linux with enough memory or you use
packages or a SQL solution that is able to deal with huge datasets.
(biglm for example)

Stefan