[R] ANOVA/statistics question

drmh douglasrmholmes at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 26 16:49:27 CEST 2009

Hello again,
In my situation, I have three variables: pretest, posttest, and cohesion.

I want to work out the correlation between postest and cohesion.

I looked at multiple sets of data and created ANOVA tables of them. However,
as pretest and postest are sometimes correlated (with a statistical
significance < 0.05), it is necessary to discount the effect of pretest to
work out the real correlation of posttest and coherence.. I need a system
for working out the strength of the correlation between posttest and
coherence, when does actually occur.

According to my understanding level refers the amount or magnitude of
experimental units. Pretest, posttest are scores - range from any value from
0 to 1. Cohesion can be any value.

What exactly would
cor(y[pre == 1], x[pre == 1])
cor(y[pre == 2], x[pre == 2])
give me?

I understand that my lack of understanding may be exasperating, but it is
not for want of effort - I have put in hours trying to understand this
stuff.

Thanks,
Douglas Holmes