[R] Question of "Quantile Regression for Longitudinal Data"

roger koenker roger at ysidro.econ.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 26 21:09:11 CEST 2009

I was trying to resist responding to this question since the original
questioner
had already been admonished twice  last october about asking questions
on R-help about posted code that was not only not a part of R-base,
but not even a part of an R package.  But the quoted comment about
Stata is too enticing a provocation to resist.

First, it should be said that omitting intercepts in any regression
setting
should be undertaken "at one's peril"  it is generally a very dangerous
activity, somewhat akin to fitting interactions without main effects,
but if
there is a good rational for it, it is no different in principle for
median
regression than for mean regression.  It may well be that Stata
prohibits
this sort of thing out of some sort of paternalistic motive, but in R
the
usual formula convention  y ~ x1 + x2 -1 suffices.  Of course it
situations
in which such a formula is used for several quantiles it should be
understood
that it is forcing each conditional quantile function through the origin
effectively implies that the conditional distribution degenerates to a
point
mass  at the origin.

Second,  I would like to remark that "closed-form solutions" are in
the eye
of the beholder, and many people who can recall the infamous formula:

	betahat = (X'X)^{-1} X'y

would be hard pressed to  dredge up enough linear algebra to use the
formula for anything more than the bivariate case on  the proverbial
desert island  without the aid of their trusty  laptop "Friday".

Finally,  cbind(1,x) does introduce an intercept in the code
originally asked
about, so if you don't want an intercept don't do that, but be sure
that that is
really want you want to do.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger                Roger Koenker
email   rkoenker at uiuc.edu                       Department of Economics
vox:    217-333-4558                            University of Illinois
fax:    217-244-6678                            Champaign, IL 61820