[R] Problem with survival

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Apr 28 17:55:06 CEST 2009

 It is likely a problem with survival, since
 	2.9 merged in a large number of changes that had occured in my source
tree that had not propogated to the R tree

 	my test suite doesn't have a test for this particular case (2 factors)

 	and - Murphy's law applies: although almost every possible case is
covered in the test suite, any new error will hit an omitted combination of
options with high probability.

 I won't get to it for a few days though.  As with other errors it will result
in both a fix and an addition to the test suite.

 Thank you for a clear explanation of the problem.

 	Terry T.

Dieter Menne wrote:
 "Make sure that this is really a problem with different versions of R,
not a problem of different versions of survival which was changed recently,
without backward compatibility, so that for example many function of
Design (Harrell) do not work currently."

  The comment about backwards compatability is a little unfair.  The code for
survival curves post Cox model finally added the (long requested) ability to
accomodate case weights.  This added an argument to a C routine.  The Design
package called my C routine directly. I was not aware of this, there is no
promise in any R package that the not-meant-to-be-called-by-others C routines
won't change, Frank H was told about this as soon as we found out, and he's
working on it.