[R] Selecting vector elements using other vectors

00alastair00 alastair.rushworth at nhsbt.nhs.uk
Wed Apr 29 18:02:20 CEST 2009

Dear R-Help,

I have a data frame and a vector

df=data.frame(Letter=c("Z","Q","R","A","E","F"), Number=c(11,32,4,1,9,3))
v=c("C","Q","R","A","E")

>From df, I'd like to construct a subset of the field "Number", with
deletions dictated by the vector, v, of letters.  I've succeeded in doing
this for a single deletion (for example Letter="Q") with the following

df$Number[df$Letter != v[2]]

but am struggling do more than one at a time.  For example,

df$Number[df$Letter != v[2:5]]

gives the error:   Warning messages: 1: Is.na(e1) | is.na(e2) : longer
object length is not a multiple of shorter object length 2: In.....  Perhaps
there is a much easier way to approach this...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alastair