[R] postscript printer breaking up long strings

tommers scaife.7 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 30 23:49:54 CEST 2009

########################
The apparently "broken" strings in the PostScript code you
quote below are perfectly normal in PostScript. When dealing
with text in a variable-width font, a PS driver will typically
split continuous text into chunks, to allow for effects like
kerning (or other adjustments of spacing) between the chunks.
########################

Let give a few more details.

If I were to leave the plot as a postscript file, there wouldn't be a
problem.  I am, however, attempting to convert to a pgf file with the
pgfSweave package (which utilizes eps2pgf).

 http://www.rforge.net/pgfSweave/

When converted to pgf, the breaking of strings is quite obvious (see
attachment).

http://www.nabble.com/file/p23324954/pgfSweave-example-boxplot.pdf
pgfSweave-example-boxplot.pdf

I have been in contact with the developers of pgfSweave, but they
cannot replicate my problem.  Their postscript devices do not break
apart the strings, so the pgf files have correctly spaced axes labels.
 They referred me to the forums for additional support.