[R] Displaying function arguments using a Windows R console

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Aug 1 18:43:32 CEST 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 2:35 PM, Laura S. wrote:

> I am relatively new to R, and would appreciate any suggestions you
> may have.
>
> I noticed on a Mac the functions' arguments are listed at the bottom
> of the R console.
>
> Is it possible to add such a feature to a Windows R console? I have
> Windows XP if that helps.
>
> I know function arguments can be found using args(...), but I was
> wanting to have something more automatic, like what I saw on the Mac
> computer.
>
> I went into GUI preferences, but was not sure what to do. I noticed
> for graphics, the playwith package can be used....I was wondering if
> there was something similar to this for the arguments of functions
> in R.

I believe the feature to which you are referring is the one called
"function hints". This is a fairly recent answer to this question from
a source that is generally authoritative:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/Rhelp08/2009-July/203189.html

The follow-up exchange also appears worth reading for Windows users.

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT