[R] plm summary error

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Mon Aug 3 18:02:57 CEST 2009

Ulrich,

as usual with such specific questions, it is a good idea to have the
package authors at least Cc (done now). In April I had already forwarded
your message privately to the plm authors with the following comment:

<comment>
I've quickly checked what is going on. If you do something like
    foo <- "individual"
    x <- plm(..., effect = foo)
    plm:::desribe(x, "effect")
it doesn't work. describe() entirely relies on the call on x$call which
cannot know anymore what "foo" was (unless you would evaluate it again).
I would recommend to make the model object self-contained. Within plm()
you could do
    result$args = list(model = model, effect = effect, ...)
etc. and then operate on that with describe(). That should be fully
backward compatible with your current approach.
</comment>

Best regards,