[R] Completion for custom "$" operator?

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:19:20 CEST 2009

On 08/04/2009 10:02 PM, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Vitalie S.<vitosmail at rambler.ru>  wrote:
>> Dear UseRs,
>>
>> I declared a `$` method for a S4 class. Can I have ab automatic completion
>> for this operator in R? Lists and environment objects provide this feature
>> by default, but my object is an extension of "function" class which does not
>> have subseting defined. How to be?
>
> Completion should be automatic if you define names() to return the valid names.
>
> -Deepayan

Hi,

Shouldn't this be delegated to a custom method. ie :

complete <- function( x, ... ){
	UseMethod( "complete" )
}
complete.default <- function( x, ... ){
	names( x )
}

or maybe the equivalent S4 incantation.

This would separate the completion from the names, and therefore give
more flexibility to class writers.

Romain

--
Romain Francois