[R] solving system of equations involving non-linearities

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Aug 7 15:14:40 CEST 2009

If you suspect multiple roots, you can try `multiStart' in "BB", which runs
`BBsolve' from multiple starting values (which you have to specify).

If you want to convert it to an optimization problem, you can form the sum
of squared residuals of the equations and then use `BBoptim'.  However, I
would not advise that approach when you have a "square" system (i.e. the
number of equations is the same as the number of unknowns). The optimization
approach is useful (and necessary) for over-determined systems.

Best,
Ravi.