[R] How '.' is used?

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Aug 9 18:32:57 CEST 2009

On 09-Aug-09 16:06:52, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
> I know '.' is not a separator in R as in C++. I am wondering where it
> discusses the detailed usage of '.' in R. Can somebody point me a
> webpage, a manual or a book that discuss this?
>
> Regards,
> Peng

To the best of my knowledge, apart from its specific use as a separator
between the integer and fractional parts of a number, "." has no specific
use in R, and you can, for instance, use it just as you would use an
alphanumeric character in a name.

For instance, you could do

  . <- 1.2345
  .
  # [1] 1.2345

  . <- function(x) x^2
  .(12)
  # [1] 144

So, unless there is something I don't know about, there is hardly
anything to discuss about "the detailed usage of '.' in R"!

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 09-Aug-09                                       Time: 17:32:54