[R] R to MATLAB translation

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Tue Aug 11 01:34:27 CEST 2009

apjaworski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any package out there that might help me with translating R code
> into MATLAB?  Using RSiteSearch I found a bunch of "MATLAB stuff" but it
> all seems to go in the opposite direction, i.e., emulating MATLAB
> functions in R.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Andy

The biggest problem with translating R code to anything is that some sort of
parser must be written that can deconstruct a chunk of R code and the
reconstruct it in another language. Several attempts have been made at an R
to C translator but so far these have not gone very far. Given that the C
translation has stalled, it is unlikely that a translator for MATLAB exists.

Two approaches that you could take to this problem are:

1. Re-implement your R programs into MATLAB. This is how most of R's
emulated MATLAB functions came about.

2. Find some way of calling R from within MATLAB so that you don't have to
re-implement anything. A quick Google search turned up the following
windows-only interface:

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/5051

It appears to have good reviews.

Good luck!